Friday 12 March 2010

Noodle soup


It's Friday night, the sun is staying out that little bit longer and my food cravings are gently beginning to change. The heavy and hearty pies and casseroles are getting pushed to the back of my mind whilst I look to repot the tomato and corgette plants I seeded just a couple of months ago. I'm keeping todays blog short and sweet. Just like the recipe, it leaves more time to do other things. Namely, drinking, talking and perhaps going for a wander down to the beach. Although that might be slightly optimistic on the daylight front.

This spicy noodle soup is easy and quick to make and leaves my mouth feeling fresh. They are quite simple, honest flavours which softly merge together to make a quick supper that isn't from a packet. I like to eat it with chop sticks which makes it last longer and also gives my body plenty of time to realise when it's full. I reckon chop sticks could shave a few pounds off me.


QUICK NOODLE BROTH

1 clove of garlic very finely diced
1 shallot very finely sliced
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, very finely sliced into short matchstick
1 ltr Chicken or veg stock,
3 cloves
2 star anise,
1 tsp crushed sichuan pepper corns
1 sheet of dried noodles,
150g roughly chopped shitake mushrooms,
10 raw prawns
Some fresh corriander, torn

In some sesame oil lightly soften your garlic ginger and shallot. Cover with your hot stock and bring to the boil. Add the star anise, cloves and sichuan pepper and leave for a few minutes. Drop in your mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the noodles to the pot and cook to packet instructions.

Just as the noodles are about done, drop in your raw prawns and cook until they are all pink. Season to taste, stir in your torn coriander and serve in small bowls drizzled with sesame or chilli oil.

2 comments: